The Bible is one of the most ancient texts in history. Much has been written about proving the validity and textual accuracy of the canon. There is immense value for our souls to logically and historically find confidence in God’s Word withstanding critique and standing tall. However, I do not want to overlook the simplicity of God himself describing in His own voice what He thinks about Scripture. God has much to say about his voice as revealed from Genesis to Revelation! For hundreds of years the question has been posed by skeptics, scientists and atheists alike of “Where did God come from?” And this question can be answered across a lot of ways but here at Sola we want scripture to be discovered through the simplest of connections. So I believe God, who reveals himself in many ways, primarily reveals this answer with His words. The God of the Bible is not affected by time space and matter also known as existence. Scientists agree that time, space and matter all have to come in existence at the same time because if there were matter but not space, where would you put it? If there were matter and space yet no time, when would you put it there?Scripture makes it simple when God introduced himself to existence:
- “In the beginning (time) God created the Heavens (space) and the Earth (matter)” – Genesis 1:1
God has always been the author of all existence. Or as He put it: ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty” (Revelation 1:8). I feel weary when the Christian feels the weight of trying to know all the right logical or historical answers to prove the essential reality of the reality of God himself. Because God himself wants you to find peace that in His Words he spoke all we need to know for our good and his glory. What if his words were enough confidence for us? This is not to say that secondary sources from His revealed Word are bad, I simply want to implore believers that they find their hope and confidence in God’s words first, and all else would subject and provide complement to His revealed words. God didn’t leave us with just a small bread crumb at the beginning of Scripture to then build our opinions of himself and his words. God revealed himself through His Word to understand what exactly this ancient text is and how we should view it. Here are 4 of the many slices of truth that God speaks to us simply in his Word about the value the Bible brings to the believer.
- It is God’s very breath that is useful for our good.
- “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,” 2 Timothy 2:16
- It is best source for evangelism.
- “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.” Psalm 19:7
- It is the path to happiness.
- “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law[b] of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.” – Psalm 1:1-2
- It is where we find Jesus.
- “In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God.” – John 1:1
- “Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” John 18:37
Continue to lean to the simple truths that God provides in His words alone.