What does it mean to be “blessed”? Christian culture uses the word “blessed”, but very little times do we actually understand what God means by the word blessed. Gods Word uses the word blessed often, so instead of us assuming we know what it means to be blessed, we believe we can discover what God says that leads to a life that is blessed.
The word blessed in the Hebrew literally means: happiness. So, when God says in Psalm 1, “blessed is the man” he is appealing to a core desire in all people. God is not a cosmic kill joy who doesn’t want us to enjoy life. God deeply cares for us and wants us to be HAPPY. He longs for his children to find happiness in this life. However, because God is the author and creator of life, He knows where we actually can find happiness. Culture has told us happiness is found within ourselves. Yet a close look throughout scripture alone would show otherwise. God gives a clear picture as to where and how happiness is found:
- Psalm 1:1-2 – “Blessed (happy) is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.”
- Revelation 1:3 – “Blessed (happy) is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy and blessed (happy) are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it.”
- James 1:12 – “Blessed (happy) is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.”
- Psalm 132:1-2 – “Blessed (happy) is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed (happy) is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.”
Everyone is searching for happiness. All of us want a full life. The world lies to us and tells us to ignore others, choose autonomy and yourself to find it. But when we look at scripture alone happiness is found in someone other than ourselves: happiness is found in God.
- When we don’t walk in the presence (council) of things that harm us (the wicked)
- When we enjoy submitting to God’s Word
- When we persevere in hardship
- When we seek forgiveness
Blessing, or happiness is only found in God. And God can be found in scripture alone. Come explore more with us at exploresola.com